Posted to rec.woodworking
Jay Pique Jay Pique is offline

Default Cutting shallow, wide slot in hardwood

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
"Tom Gardner" wrote in message
I need the best, cheapest way to cut a 1-1/2" wide by 3/64" deep slot
across a KD Beech block that is 2-1/4" wide. I need to do at least
2,000/day. I already do this but I won't say how as not to influence you.
We are trying to come up with a better, faster cheaper way.

Is that for 5 days or 500 days? That makes a difference in how much you can
afford to spend to automate. There are industrial machine cutters that can
knock that out in a short time, but you will be investing far more than the
cost of a dado setup on a cabinet saw or router.

Yep. I'd think you could really crank out a bunch with a dado stack
and some featherboards on a table saw. I envsion a flume type set-up
on an infeed table, and a box on the floor behind the saw to catch
them. Have one guy line up 15 or 20 blocks (how long are they?) and
another guy push 'em through with a long push stick - the kind that
sits on top with a heel at the back to catch the last one. I bet you
could cut your cycle time significantly.

JP