Posted to rec.woodworking
Tom Gardner Tom Gardner is offline

Default Cutting shallow, wide slot in hardwood

"Tom Gardner" wrote in message
I need the best, cheapest way to cut a 1-1/2" wide by 3/64" deep slot
across a KD Beech block that is 2-1/4" wide. I need to do at least
2,000/day. I already do this but I won't say how as not to influence you.
We are trying to come up with a better, faster cheaper way.

Good ideas so far, thanks. We now have a Hitachi 3 hp TR-12 with a 1-1/2"
router bit in a table with a jig sliding on Thomson linear bearings. The
operator drops a block in the jig , slides it through and it drops in a
barrel. The routers last about 6 months then we throw them away as they are
not worth repairing. I'm at about 4-5 seconds each now. I thought of a
dado but 1.5 is too wide. I have a spare shaper with a powered round table
but the cycle time would be hard to beat 5 sec. and the cost of building a
table is about $800 in house.