Posted to rec.woodworking
Frank Boettcher Frank Boettcher is offline

Default Cutting shallow, wide slot in hardwood

On Thu, 28 Sep 2006 17:12:21 GMT, "Tom Gardner"
wrote:

I need the best, cheapest way to cut a 1-1/2" wide by 3/64" deep slot
across a KD Beech block that is 2-1/4" wide. I need to do at least
2,000/day. I already do this but I won't say how as not to influence you.
We are trying to come up with a better, faster cheaper way.

Dedicated shaper with an end mill cutter, a stack feeder onto the
table and than a stock feeder through the cutter with roller
featherboards hard fastened. Will have to experiment with cutter
profiles depending on what you can live with for exit tearout.

With that kind of volume you should be able to rig up some simple hard
automation for feeding and handling and make it a load and walk away.

Frank