Posted to rec.woodworking
gw gw is offline

Default Cutting shallow, wide slot in hardwood

"Tom Gardner" wrote in message
I need the best, cheapest way to cut a 1-1/2" wide by 3/64" deep slot
across a KD Beech block that is 2-1/4" wide. I need to do at least
2,000/day. I already do this but I won't say how as not to influence you.
We are trying to come up with a better, faster cheaper way.

How long are the blocks? This only works if they are square - or close to
it.

Router table with 2 inserts, offset by 3/4". Fence on one side, featherboard
on the other. Use a 3/4" bit with end milling capabilities in each router.
With another long featherboard over top, you could just keep pushing them
through and they will fall off the outfeed side into a bin.

If the pieces are long, you could use the 2-router setup with a miter slot
and sled. Put a stop block on the infeed side of the cutters, set the pieces
(gang as many as you like) on the sled, set the ends to the stop block, pass
through the cutters. Toughest part would be the initial lineup of the
inserts/miter slot.