Posted to alt.home.repair
BobK207 BobK207 is offline

Default Mike97 Washer overflowing tub sink

Mike97 wrote:
I have a home built in 1954. The washer machine is in the garage. The
washer empties into a tub sink next to the washer. The problem is the
sink overflows. There is a small drain in the sink, 1 inch diamater
with a small sink trap to cacth the lint. It catches too much lint and
nothing drains. I am tired of the garage flooding.... can anyone think
of another solution to how I can dispose of the used water?

--
Mike97

Mike-

BTDT..... I have a house built in 1930 with an old cast iron /
porcelein laudry tub. I have the a similar problem in that the opening
in the sink drain as an X obstruction that catches link.

Luckily the tub has a fairly large capacity & acts like a storm water
retention basin. By the time the level rises to within 4 or 5 inches
of the top of the sink, the washer is done emptying.

The only overflows I get are from stuff left in the sink.

You could re-plumb & bypass the sink.

Does removing the link prevent overflow? If so just do it more often,
on a schedule like every Saturday.

The other thing I have not tried is a perforated tube shoved into the
drain to act as a lint filter.

cheers
Bob