Posted to alt.home.repair
Stubby Stubby is offline

Default Water in my gas tank

Rich256 wrote:
wrote:
I filled up with gas on monday, and every since monday (today is
wednesday) my car is sluggish and I cant accellerate.... I think I have
water in my gas tank.. HELP WHAT CAN I DO... Please email me at
thanks

Why do you think you have water? My experience is that water is more
likely to stall the engine than make it run rough.

More likely just the gas is old or maybe something happened to the
car. If you live in an area that has oxygenated fuel the ethanol will
pick up water.

One step in a pre-flight inspection of an airplane is to check all the
"quick drains" for water. This is done by taking a small sample in to a
plastic cylinder with a rounded bottom, something like a test tube.
The water will form a drop in the bottom. Samples need to be taken
until there is no water present. The water gets in mostly due to
condensation in partially filled tanks, but sometimes the gas caps let a
little rain in.

All pilots are taught to react to a rough engine by applying carburetor
heat. Expect the roughness to get worse because ice melting is getting
into the gas flow. Hopefully the roughness will go away after a few
minutes(!).