Posted to rec.woodworking
Teamcasa Teamcasa is offline

Default Electric hand tool recommendations

"Leon"
Still you should not have the blade between your 2 hands. Now this is
going
to really throw you. :~) Bosch shows to hold the left blade worm drive
with your right hand on the trigger handle however to keep the blade from
being positioned between your hands they also illustrate to hold the
auxiliary handle with your left hand. Essentially Bosch wants you to
criss
cross you hands if you are going to hold the left blade worm drive with
your right hand on the trigger handle. This effectively keeps the blade
on
the outside position of your hands instead of between your hands. Check
the
illustration on Page 4 of the owners manual.

http://66.77.255.87/Images/BOSCHPDF/...L/1677-100.pdf

Leon,
You obviously spent a great deal of time looking up this data. However, if
you ask anyone who uses a worm drive (by default, left blade) saw, they
will tell you it is a great tool. I have made hundreds of thousands of
cuts with one and I have never felt like my arms were criss-crossed. 99% of
the time, I am holding the workpiece with my left hand and cutting with the
right. The action is the same as hand sawing only with a powered saw. I see
the line, I hold the work and that nonsense about the weight of the saw only
supported by thin side is just that nonsense. If a builder can not hold the
saw up, he should not be using it anyway.

The other advantage to the worm drive is it length. I can cross-cut a 4'x8'
piece (in the middle) of plywood in one push. The other thing I have found
interesting is West coast framers overwhelmingly prefer the worm drive saw.
However, East coasters like the sidewinders. Since Texas is in the middle,
maybe that's the source of confusion

I emailed both Milwaukee (I don't take credit for their grammar) and Porter
Cable, their responses are below. Neither say one is for left handed or
right handed people.

Dave

---

Dear David,
Thank you for visiting the Porter-Cable website.
It is just a personal preference. Some customers prefer the blade on the
right while others prefer it on the left.
Regards,
Customer Care Department

Dave,
Most "Left Handed" Saws will state that is what they actually are.
Our worm drive saw
was designed to be a two handed saw which offers the blade on the left.
The National standard
for cordess circular saws the blade is on the left.
Actually, most right handed saws offer the blade on the right side.
Thank You,
Sincerely,
Milwaukee Electric Tool Corporation
John M. Resch