Posted to uk.d-i-y
Staffbull Staffbull is offline

Default Extension

LSR wrote:
John wrote:
We have a single storey extension about 7m x 4m and were wondering
about making it two storey.

How would we find out if the foundations were adequate?

If not what options are there?

What are the "order of magnitude" costs for either putting on a second
level and extending the pitched roof, or rebuilding from ground
upwards?

Any thoughts welcome!

How old is the extension?

Our single-storey extension was built 10 years ago and the builder said that
Building Regs required foundations to be adequate for two storeys even
though - for other reasons - that's extremely unlikely to happen in our
case.

Thats true, 600mm X 600mm minimum if I remember. my foundation is 600mm
deep at one side going down to 1200mm !!! this was due to me finding
granite at 600mm and the BCO insisted I carry the foundations along the
face of the granite to avoid differential settlement, unfortunatley for
me the granite dropped away sharply !, lots of readymix!! I chose to
fill it all instead of stepping it.