Posted to alt.home.repair
Todd H. Todd H. is offline

Default Breaker box main ground help

writes:

My main grounding wires from the breaker box has 2, one side of the
panel goes outside to a grounding rod. The other side is a thick cable
that runs about 60 feet to the in coming water line. But the water is
copper but the line it connects to going through the wall is plastic
is the really grounding anything? A friend said the water in the line
is giving it a ground. So is it ok like this or should if have been
done another way? The house is 2 years old.

I think what's going in here is simply:

The rod is providing your system ground.

The bonding to the pipe system is simply a code requirement I _think_.
The pipe connection isn't to benefit the electrical system, it may
simply be making sure the copper piping system in your home is safe to
touch and at 0V potential. That is, the pipes are earthed by way of
your breaker panel on the way to the grounding rod.

A proper electrician of course will know much more on this subject.
Hopefully one will chime in here.

Best Regards,
--
Todd H.