Posted to rec.woodworking,rec.crafts.woodturning
DGG DGG is offline

Default Review: Delta 16" VS Lathe 46-756 (Long)

Eddie Munster said:

Wow, it is so different than my lathe. I guess I got the fore runner of
it. Mine has the Baldor controller and I cannot hieght adjust so easy.

Yea, new models take a while to get the bugs worked out - and it never
really ends...

What is the accel/decel time of your lathe at fast and slow settings?

It depends on the initial speed, but seems reasonable enough.
About 3 seconds from 800RPM on slow.

Mine only has one settting (about 10.5 seconds) and sometimes it faults
off, resulting in no electric braking. The book that came with it says
in that event ot extend the times and it seems okay now, about 13
seconds I think.

Largest thing I've turned was a 10" chuck of bark covered, irregular
cherry. Had no problems, but the controller is not a Baldor, and
Delta is apparently very secretive of the controller programming
settings. Came with NO info on the controller.

Al mine has three position belt settings for different torque
requirements. But i just leave it on the 0 to 3000 range as it seems
pretty torquey. No digital display also.

This lathe only has one belt position, but other than limiting the
speed on large items, can't see much use for it. The 2HP motor has a
good torque at all speeds. Unfortunately, it is too easy to bump the
speed setting too high for a large piece - wish it had a limiter.

FWIW