Posted to uk.d-i-y
normanwisdom normanwisdom is offline

Default Door hinge "router jigs".

Weatherlawyer wrote:
Anyone have any experience with the alternatives to the Trend router
jig? They all look to be either hopelessly complex or highly
unadjustable:

This one at an hundred quid is 70 cheaper than the Trend one but the
apertures for the hinges seems fixed:
http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/...=null&ts=07858

This one looks totally unadjustable:
http://www.tooled-up.com/ZoomPicture...MG=TB27688.jpg

And while I am on the subject of door jigs:
http://www.trendmachinery.co.uk/hjig/

Anyone know why a simple ally extrusion with what must take seconds for
a machine to rout out the appropriate holes and minutes for unskilled
assemblers to stick together the assorted blocks inside, should cost
more than a 110V router?

And a degree of price fixing going on here too.

BTW I am getting myself one this week, so if any lurker wishes me to
knock out a simple jig from it to do the same thing -minus all the
bells and whistles, just e-mail me with the hinge sizes, rebate depths
and the positions he wants the hinges set at.

Do you really need a jig? It's quick and easy to just mark them up and
cut with router - clean up edges with chisel, or cut completely with
chisel if you are only doing one or 2 - quicker than getting the router
out.

cheers
Jacob