Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Lee Lee is offline

Default Need a jumper cable to connect UPS batteries in series

wrote:
Hi,

I know very little about electronic hardware other than PC components.
I have an Uninterruptable Power Supply whose original batteries ran out
of juice after several years. This UPS, the Patriot Pro II 750, uses
two 12V, 8Ah sealed lead acid batteries.

The UPS has two leads -- one positive, one negative. Each goes to an
individual battery. The original pair of batteries were jumpered
together in series to complete the circuit.

Problem: I lost the original jumper cable. I've purchased two new
replacement batteries. I need a cable to jumper them together. I've
searched the web and this has proven harder than I thought. Maybe I'm
not using the right terms. Or maybe this is so trivial that people
fabricate their own.

The SLA batteries have F1 terminals. I'm assuming I simply need a short
cable with F1 connectors at each end. I'm not really comfortable
fabricating my own for this kind of application (involving batteries).

Someone with more knowledge than I tells me that the jumper for this
UPS did not have a fuse, it was just a simple cable.

Any advice? Is there somewhere I can simply buy a short jumper cable
with F1 connectors? Is there someone who can put one together for a few
bucks? It's frustrating that this UPS is sitting here with brand new
batteries and I'm stuck because of my own error in discarding the
original jumper cable.

thanks,
Aaron

You can get cables like this at any good
automotive/snowmobile/motorcycle/etc. parts place.
If you are in Canada, go to Canadian Tire.
Regards
Lee in Toronto