Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Jim Yanik Jim Yanik is offline

Default Car mirror heater pad

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in
:

I've done a fair bit of research in the UK and come up with nothing,
so cast myself humbly on the mercy of this group. ;-)

I've got an old car which has heated door mirrors. Both the elements
are burnt out, and spares are no longer available. The mirrors
themselves (the heating was an option) are no problem. So what I'd
like to buy are suitable heating mats to replace the originals. RS
Components do silicone heating mats for 12 volts, but not in a
suitable size which is approx 100 x 50mm. The thickness should be not
much more than about 1 mm. The originals appeared rather like a PCB
made of thin flexible plastic with silver coloured tracks as the
heating element.

I can make copper PCBs at home using conventional methods, and of
course a similar method using this plastic material would be great. If
I knew what it was and where to get it.

I'd also be willing to pay for a small production run of say 100 if
the price was right as other owners are in the same position and
winter's coming on...

Get some plastic sheet,and some resistive ink(GC silver print?),and make
your own.
(perhaps laminating the sheet in plastic would increase durability?)

Use riveted terminals to attach the heater to the car's wiring.
If you had a flat-bad plotter,you could use that to write the ink onto the
plastic,especially for a production run.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik