Posted to sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.design
Jeff Wisnia Jeff Wisnia is offline

Default DC Ammeter Sensitivity Increased?

Homer J Simpson wrote:

"Jeff Wisnia" wrote in message
et...

I believe the ammmeter is what I used to know as a "moving iron" type, and
IIRC the restoring force was supplied by some kind of permanant magnet
field, not by a mechanical spring. Am I right about that?

Nope. Still a spring.

http://www.tpub.com/content/doe/h101...h1011v4_76.htm

Moving iron vane - The moving iron vane meter operates on the
principle of magnetic repulsion between like poles. The measured current
flows through a field coil which induces a like magnetic field into
a fixed and moving vane causing the moving vane to deflect a
pointer in proportion to the current or voltage applied to the coil.

I hear what you say about a spring, and it makes sense that there may be
one there. But it's interesting that the reference link you gave
mentioned "springs" when describing the first two meter types, but not
the moving iron one. Wonder why? Probably just an oversight.

Jeff (Who is NOT going to tear that old meter on the Eico 1050 apart to
find out.)

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)