Posted to alt.home.repair
Charles Schuler Charles Schuler is offline

Default Water Heater Timer

"Derek Lawler" wrote in message
I am installing Intermatic's "Little Gray Box" at a junction where I
previously had an off/on switch. The three wires from the fuse box
connected up at the switch with the three wires to the heater. The bare
wire
in the center is a "neutral." I am assuming it can go to ground also. In
the timer there is a pole marked A for the neutral wire but there is also
green screw that is supposed to be a ground connection.
The question is, (now that I have the line and load wires connected) can I
connect both of these neutral or ground wires to post A and also run a
wire
from there to the ground? I won't turn on the power till I know it is
wired
correctly. The schematic for this is rudimentary and I can't get any info
from the company. Suggestions appreciated and thanked in advance.
Derek

The ground wire is bare and never carries current, under normal conditions.
The white wire is the neutral, and does carry current. The white wire and
the bare wire are tied together in the load center, BUT THEY SERVE DIFFERENT
PURPOSES. The green screw is always for the ground connection and NEVER for
the neutral.