Posted to alt.home.repair
Derek Lawler Derek Lawler is offline

Default Water Heater Timer

I am installing Intermatic's "Little Gray Box" at a junction where I
previously had an off/on switch. The three wires from the fuse box
connected up at the switch with the three wires to the heater. The bare wire
in the center is a "neutral." I am assuming it can go to ground also. In
the timer there is a pole marked A for the neutral wire but there is also a
green screw that is supposed to be a ground connection.
The question is, (now that I have the line and load wires connected) can I
connect both of these neutral or ground wires to post A and also run a wire
from there to the ground? I won't turn on the power till I know it is wired
correctly. The schematic for this is rudimentary and I can't get any info
from the company. Suggestions appreciated and thanked in advance.
Derek