Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Default Roof/Porch Support Column??

MacGyver wrote:
I'm relatively new to the home repair scene because it wasn't until
recently that my home needed some repair, I got the inside covered, but
the outside is in need of some help. I have a porch outside that is
your standard six step porch to the front door and it has a beam that
supports the small portion of the roof that hangs over the proch.

The beam itself is rotting on the bottom, well, not so much rotting,
but inhabited by chipmunks. It looks like the lower 7" of the column
needs to be replaced. There was also some moulding around the base of
the column which will need to be replaced, but I've done that before.
Any ideas on how to fix this sucker? Any help would be greatly

This is far too disjointed and incomplete a description to have any
real idea what your situation is to give much of any real input.

A beam has to be tied into the house or be cantilevered out -- what
size is this, how is it attached and to what, is this one of the beams
on the side of the porch or the one on the outer edge, etc., etc., etc.

A column w/ a bad section probably could be repaired, but depending on
how it is built it might be better to replace it. How big is it, how
tall, what's it made of, etc., etc., ...???

Obviously, to do much of anything with it you'll have to support the
corner it's helping to support if it is actually load-bearing and not
just cosmetic.