Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Sawaar Sawaar is offline

Default Few questions from a beginner

Hello
Few months ago I asked you for an advice on a lathe I was building. It's
kind of finished (I'm not showing you pictures of it because it's still a
bit messy), but now I have some questions on turning.
I have only 0.5 inch gouge http://recordpower.co.uk/index.pl?p=CH600&a=i
and 2 skew chisels made by my local smith.
So far I made only 3 bowls. First one cracked wide open. OK. Next two are
kind of alive so far.
You can see them on my page -
http://free-ck.t-com.hr/Sawaar/turning/bowls.html
They both have small cracks because wood I used was already cracked. First
one is made of acacia (I think you call it that), 160mm diameter, the other
is walnut, 110mm diameter.
My questions:
I turned them a bit to thin, 10mm. Now they are a bit warped. Can I finish
turning them even if they are warped?
Do I shape bottom of a bowl with a gouge or with a chisel? I mean before
inserting it in chuck.
You can see that I used CA glue to fill the cracks - will I have to use it
again if I finish turning them?
You'll probably say why bother. But they are my first bowls, so I want to
keep them

Bojan