Posted to rec.woodworking
Phil-in-MI Phil-in-MI is offline

Default Airbrushing Polyurethane?

Yes!

Standard polyurethane (mineral sprit based) will work with an in-expensive
air brush, provided you get the largest size nozzle and use an air
compressor. You must fuss with the pressure / air flow a bit and practice a
lot to get it just what you want. Be awa a significant amount of
material will become airborne particulate and slowly settle on EVERYTHING,
including inside your lungs if you don't ware a mask. Don't bother with the
hobby shop 'can-o-air' as not enough air flow for the pressure.

Be aware that many polyurethane makers sell an aerosol can which is much
easier to use, even though there is a bit more overspray. Cost is not too
bad.

Water-based polyurethane has large molecules making up the finish. Thinning
will not break up the long molecules. My Pasche airbrush will not transmit
enough finish to the project; it is mostly the water thinner that get
discharged. To get a high quality water based Lacquer to be sprayed by a
very small air-brush like device, you need one of the products from
http://www.homesteadfinishing.com/

I do very small items and was recommended to use a Walcom STM
http://www.homesteadfinishing.com/htdocs/walcom2.htm
(very bottom of page)
but at that price it is out of my budget for a hobbyist.

Phil

"Dave H" wrote in message

Has anyone tried putting on the final finish to a project using an
airbrush as the application tool for either water based or oil based
polyurethane? If so, any recommendations on brand and model of the
airbrush?