Posted to alt.home.repair
Dawn Dawn is offline

Default Plumbing problem?

"Cheri" gserviceatinreachdotcom wrote in message
. ..

Dawn wrote in message ...

Thanks for your reply. As it turns out, it may have been....wait for
it....the detergent! This is the craziest thing I've ever heard of, but
we're washing the same load again, with a new detergent, and it's not
smelling this time.

The culprit detergent is Cheer color-guard linen scent liquid. The

weird
thing is, it smells fine in the bottle. Perhaps there was some weird
chemical reaction between the detergent and our softened water?

Gee, I'm sure glad we bought a new washing machine in a year when money

is
tight because of a stupid detergent :-). Well, we could always send it
back...but it's so nice and quiet and so many clothes fit in it.

Thanks again. I'm glad you got that bird problem fixed because that

sounds
really disgusting. I'll keep that in mind should we ever have this

problem
again. Off to write a nice letter to the makers of Cheer...

Dawn

I don't know if it has anything to do with it or not, but I bought a
room freshener in linen scent, and it started stinking the whole house
up, sort of like rotten bug spray or something. It was really nasty
until I found out what was causing it. Maybe the same type of thing in
your detergent.

Cheri

I just told your anecdote to my husband and he came back with a hilarious
explanation. I commented on how much of a misnomer it is to call something
"linen scent" and have it smell bad, when linen scent is basically the smell
of freshly washed clothing. He came back with, "Maybe it's not l-i-linen,
maybe it's Lenin, like the dead communist leader. That would explain a lot."

At any rate, I think you're onto something. I also think P&G owes me $700.
Well, at least I got a laugh out of it.

Dawn