Posted to alt.home.repair
Photon713 Photon713 is offline

Default Plumbing problem?

Evening, Dawn...

Did you check out the vent to the roof? You might consider that.
We had a similar problem that turned out to be a bird that had
died in the vent. We had to drop a fishing line with hook into
the vent to clear it. Are you sure that the smell was coming from the
washer and the washer plumbing? I would also check out the dryer
and the dryer vent. Good Luck...

--
______________
lvMMMCDLXXIX+1
"Dawn" wrote in message
I posted last week about a sour smell coming from our washing machine when
it runs. After the advice I got here and searching the web, we concluded it
was the washer--possibly something stuck somewhere that rotted. Rather than
spend our time trying to fix it (I'd already tried bleach, baking soda,
vinegar, you name it...), we took the opportunity to buy a new washer. The
old one came with the house and never was what we wanted, anyway.

Well, $700 poorer and a new washer hooked up today, the sour smell is
still there! We just ran a load and it reeks. Thinking it might be some
problem with our water softener, we filled the sink with cold water (we
wash only in cold) to see if it smelled. No dice.

Could there be some problem with the plumbing to the washer? This house is
only 7 years old. That's all we can think of, though. What the heck would
be causing the cold water to smell sour? The whole area around the laundry
room reeks right now.

Any ideas? I would really appreciate any help.

TIA,

Dawn