Andy Hall

Default Moving a toilet...

On Tue, 9 Sep 2003 15:55:13 +0100, "Slugsie" wrote:

How easy would it be for someone with limited plumbing skills (I've added an
outside tap, and re-routed a few pipes before now) to move a toilet....
about 8 inches to one side? I feel confident about doing the water
supply/over flow bits, but it's the soil pipe that worries me. Currently the
soil pipe comes straight out the back of the toilet, through the wall, along
a couple feet of pipe, and into the main stack. I want to reposition the
toilet to one side making it closer to the stack.

What's the best way?

You don't say whether the stack is plastic or cast iron. I guess
that since it's an outside one, it's more likely to be cast iron,
depending on the age of the property.

At any rate, moving the pan closer to the stack involves shortening
the run of pipe outside (obviously). How easy that will be to do
will depend on the angle. If the pipe only has a fairly gentle
slope, you may be able to get away with just pulling it out of the
stack, shortening it and replacing it at a very slightly steeper
angle. There is a small amount of flexibility, but not a huge
amount.

You may find it worthwhile to use a piece of PVC pipe to replace the
cast iron (if that's what it is) for the short run.

Otherwise if the angle is relatively steep, moving the pan by 8 inches
in a two foot run will make a big difference. In this case the pipe
would have to join the stack at a higher point, which obviously means
more surgery. To be honest, if it comes to this, it is probably
worth replacing the stack with a PVC one and redoing the connections.
The materials are cheap and much easier to work with than cast iron.
If you go this route, and the pipe is cast iron, there is a fair
chance that the underground drains are salt-glaze earthenware. If
possible, try to remove the iron pipe carefully to avoid breaking the
collar of the underground pipe. However, it's not completely
horrendous if you do, because there are repair couplers made of
flexible rubber or plastic material which will provide a good
connection into the underground pipe itself.

Would I be better off getting a plumber to do this for
me (against the spirit of the group I know, but would save me dealing with a
pipe smelling of poo ), and how much should I expect to pay for such a
job?

TIA

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl