Posted to alt.home.repair
RayV RayV is offline

Default Stair stringers

JustBrowsing wrote:
I have just finished cutting my new stringers for my deck to ground
which is quite long as the ground is higher where the deck is and
slopes down to the level of the in-house garage. I have 13 steps...I
made the sringers from 2x12x12 pressure treated wood. Here's the
question...which I think I know the answer to...they are 39" from
outside the left to outside the right so 36" between them. Should I be
concerned about the length and should I put a couple of posts mid way?
There is about 5" from the "V" of the cut so they are strong enough I
think from what I read, but they sure do look awful long with nothing
in between. Any one have a link to a site that deals with this? I have
looked at a few sites but nothing deals with this much length.
Thanks for any suggestions/help.

Agree with the others, a third stringer is needed. You could stiffen
the stringers considerably by nailing a 1x12 skirt board along the
outside of each (may look better also).

The next time you need to build stairs that high consider routing
grooves into the stingers and slipping the treads into the grooves.