Posted to alt.home.repair
kevin kevin is offline

Default From chalk lines to roof lines--Putting final shingles at the top

Cliff Hartle wrote:
I think you are splitting hairs as to the term flashing.

Sorry, no splitting of hairs meant. Just trying to help clear up
(potential) confusion.

You seem to define
flashing as metal used to between a roof and a wall or valley flashing
between roofs.

According to this

http://tinyurl.com/qwmyu

I should drop this thread.... but the internet seems to make me and
everyone keep responding to the very last to defend their, um, honor or
something. So here goes...

According to that link, almost every definition talks about transitions
between two surfaces, such as roof planes, a roof and a wall, a door
and a wall, a deck and a wall, etc. One or two of the more vague
definitions basically say "flashing is a piece of metal to keep out the
rain".

The strip at the top could be considered flashing. What would you call it a
J channel?

I would call it a drip edge. And so did the OP.

I have an idea that she most likely was sold a piece of aluminum
fascia. I can't imagine any thing pre made at a home center that would be
any thing else.

How about aluminum drip edge? Not fascia. Drip edge.

I could have told her she needs to bend a piece of coil stock with a brake
to exactly match what is needed, but I didn't what to start throwing around
more terms and confusing the OP more.

"kevin" wrote in message
oups.com...

Cliff Hartle wrote:
Just continue up the roof as if it didn't stop and cut off what ever
hangs
over the top. I guess your last exposed course will only be tabs, just
nail
them so the nails are under your flashing.

Please, people... she already said this is a "shed roof", and is not
adjacent to a wall. There is no flashing.