Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] redwoodcoast@fastmail.fm is offline

Default From chalk lines to roof lines--Putting final shingles at the top

Cliff Hartle wrote:
I think you are splitting hairs as to the term flashing. You seem to define
flashing as metal used to between a roof and a wall or valley flashing
between roofs.

According to this

http://tinyurl.com/qwmyu

The strip at the top could be considered flashing. What would you call it a
J channel? I have an idea that she most likely was sold a piece of aluminum
fascia. I can't imagine any thing pre made at a home center that would be
any thing else.

I could have told her she needs to bend a piece of coil stock with a brake
to exactly match what is needed, but I didn't what to start throwing around
more terms and confusing the OP more.

The original poster is wholly confused and flustered. LOL.

I have read through the posts and also a couple of e-mails I have
received and I think I have a plan. It may make it an extra layer of
tabs at the top, and it may be a little bit more overlapping than
needed, but it should do the job, I think, and not look too bad, except
the last layer will probably be about two inches further down on top of
the underlayer...does that make sense. In other words, I'll overlap the
next to last row of shingles much more than normal to make it all work
out.

As I mentioned for the $100 more or less that I spent, I almost should
have hired it out. But then we would not have learned so much, got
notes from all you helpful people, built up so much muscle, or even
missed catching a nasty case of poison oak from cutting back the bush
that was bushing against the top of the shed when we went to roof...

Oh, as to the drip edge/flashing....it is an "L" shaped piece of
aluminium that has a special bend on the roof side as well as another
bend on the fascia side to direct water in the appropriate directions.
It comes over about 1.5 inches on to the top of roof. I plan to nail
the last course and put the edge on top of that. Roofing cement will
also come into play, both under the last line of tabs, as well as
between the metal and the three tab.

Finally, I'll use 1/2-inch roofing screws with rubber grommets to
attach the edge to the fascia.

Thanks again all, Tina (who plans on a very celebratory Saturday
afternoon when this is all finished, and hopes not to be out on the
roof in January putting a tarp up if it begins to leak).