Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Dimmer Switch Wiring

In article ,
Kroma wrote:
My parents managed to get their double dimmer switch damp (with
wallpaper paste) and it seems to have broken so I have bought them a
new one.

However, upon looking at the connections of the old one (which has
worked fine for about 15+ years) I saw the following connections:
http://tinyurl.com/l84ew

Can this be right? I was expecting reds to L1s and blacks to COMS. I
wasn't expecting just one black, a short red hopping between 2 terminals
(an L1 and a COM) plus a red going to the other L1.

The switch is two way, but of course the dimmer isn't, and it will only
dim one of the two 'outputs' from the comm terminal - in this case L1. And
dimmers aren't sensitive to which way round they are connected, so the
original wiring is fine, if not perhaps how most would do it for the sake
of tidiness. However, I've come across a dimmer where the dimmed output is
L2, so it might be worth checking the instructions for the new one.

There is only one switch in the room, one of the dimmer controls will
control a ceiling light, the other the wall lights.

Your observations will be gratefully received.

As regards the colours, my guess is a TW&E pair for the switch returns,
and the switch feed possibly taken from another switch close by?

--
*Why isn't there a special name for the back of your knee?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.