Posted to alt.home.repair
Mark Lloyd Mark Lloyd is offline

Default microwave on switched outlet?

On Tue, 26 Sep 2006 07:38:31 -0700, "Bill"
wrote:

wrote in message

Is it safe to run a microwave on a circuit/outlet controlled by a wall
switch?

I have my microwave on a wall switch. I turn it off when it is not in use
and this saves electricity. I also have a power strip for my TV/Stereo and I
also turn this off when not in use which saves electricity.

Like everything else, there's some tradeoff. How much work does it
take to restore settings when you want to use the device again?

So far as rating, 14 ga. wire is for a 15 amp circuit. Get a 15amp switch.
Should say 15 amp or 15 A on the switch. (I have 12 ga. wire, a 20 amp
outlet, and I use a 20 amp rated switch.)

Also check local electrical codes. I don't know if they would require a
separate 20 amp outlet for a microwave or whatever. If you are having your
work inspected, run it by your local electrical inspector before doing any
work. Could save you time and money...

Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

"The government of the United States is not, in
any sense, founded on the Christian religion."
-- George Washington