Posted to sci.electronics.repair
GregS GregS is offline

Default How to Clean Audio Cassette Heads

In article .com, wrote:

jakdedert wrote:
taharka wrote:
How do,

On Tue, 26 Sep 2006 10:07:27 -0400, Sam Goldwasser wrote:
Not all rubbing alcohols are created equal. Some are just isopropyl
alcohol and water.

The isopropyl/water alcohol can be recreated to 99% pure. Just put it in
the freezer, the water will freeze & you can pour off 99% pure isopropyl

;-)

I've found that most automotive fuel deicer products are pure alcohol.
A single bottle of Heet will last a long time around the shop....

Oh I just thought about me using Rain-X deicing fluid. It contains Rain-X.
Its the bright orange washer fluid. If you have used this stuff I don't see anybody going
back to plain washer fluid.

I also used to use the washer fluid that went
a lot colder than the regular fluid for the extra cold months. I imagine it used a purer
alcohol but may just be another form?

greg

Has anybody separated the two like they do when making ice beer?

If you put deicer in, its not going to freeze until it gets really
cold.

Using near 100% alcohol is good for applications, however many times
the near 100% will quickly turn to near 100% water as the alcohol dries
and absorbs water at the same time, so using near 100% alcohol doesn't
usually happen unless its with a heat gun to dry it quickly. I used to
clean tape heads with rubbing alcohol, I thought the mineral oil or
other things in it helped lubricate the head, or other things clean
with it.

greg