Posted to rec.woodworking
badger.badger badger.badger is offline

Default Cub Scout WoodDorking - Yippee

bf wrote:
Here were the problems: I wanted to break the scouts into small groups
of 3 or 4, but was vetoed.

At this point I'd have withdrawn the opertunity, my shop MY rules!

The problem with having 8 kids in the shop
is that they will get bored while waiting their turn and then start to
goof off.

Yep, they certainly do, with the attention span of a knat a lot of them...

I wouldn't trust a cub scout with a bandsaw. It's just too dangerous
for a kid (who won't have 100% attention span).

Agreed.

Then I let them use a drill press.

Nooooo, drill presses account for more shop injuries than almost any
other fixed power tool, though over familiarty is partly the problem here.

This session convinced me that the kids should at least be 16.
Now your own kid may be mature enough, but remember other people's kids
are very unpredictable.

VERY! My youngest whose a Cub and understands some of the shop safety,
inc. Norm's "safety glasses" bit, I wouldn't trust him (nor the eldest)
in my shop without 1-1 close assistance (and supervision), and he's a
bright kid with good attention, some of the others.....

Ok I'll come clean I'm a Scouter, I don't mind assisting other leaders,
but tools are toys to most boys, so woodwork is reserved for those who
have a proven track record of sensible behavior, often older kids with
shop time at school, Cub's all to often are Beavers with attitude!

Niel, aka Badger the Beaver leader, JOTA radio operator and National
Scout Air Rifle Championship shooter (UK), and when time permits
woodworker too.