Posted to uk.d-i-y
Phil L Phil L is offline

Default Water Supply to 1970s House

Invicta wrote:
We have just moved into this 3 deroom semi and have started to replace
the kitchen units. When I came to knock down a partition wall (between
kitchen and dining room) I found half of it was built with plywood
instead of plasterboard. I then found two felixible plastic pipes
(supplying hot and cold water to the dishwasher and sink) comming down
through the ceiling from under the floor boards in the back bedroom.
The main StopCock for the house is under a small metal inspection
plate in the public path in front of the house. The only one I can
find inside the house is located after a small rectangular header
tank and before the large round water tank in the loft. This tank has
a ball cock in it I can't find where water comes into the house or a
stopcock before the header tank. Has anyone any suggestions as to
1) Where the water supply should come into the house.
2) Wether there should be a StopCock before the header tank
3) Best method for plumbing hot and cold water into our kitchen.
I've worked on previous houses and the feed has been either in the
kitchen or under the stairs with an easily accessible StopCock so I'm
baffled with the current system.
Any advice would be very much appreciated. Kind regards, Bernard.

Is there any 'boxing in' in any of the downstairs rooms? - maybe taking
water upstairs? - if there is a small box running up a wall somewhere, the
stoptap is probably in this, close to the bottom, sometimes behind a
removable or hinged section but sometimes boxed right over by an
inconsiderate joiner, possibly called Frank.