Posted to alt.home.repair
Todd H. Todd H. is offline

Default Refinishing Hardwood Estimate

"johnnymo" writes:

Hello - I just bought a new house (new to me) and want to get the hard
wood floors redone in them. They are in decent shape, but in the high
traffic areas, the polyurethane has worn off and you can pretty much
see the dull wood. My house is about a 1000 square feet and I need
about 800 sq. feet refinished. I have Red Oak 3/4" thick by 2 1/4" wide
planks.

What is a good estimate? I have a guy who is a friend of a friend of my
parents, and he seems pretty reliable, but just curious and wanted to
know what other people have gotten for estimates.

He quoted me at $2,300 which includes 3 coats and sanding one room in
which the previous owners painted over. In the process of getting a
couple more estimates, but just wanted to see what others have to
say.

I did mine myself, once. Once.

I wouldn't do it again as it was a complete labor intensive pain in
the ass. But I sorta knew that going in and felt it was something I
needed to try once. Once. :-)

$2300 doesn't sound horrible. Is that for water based or oil based
poly? What brand?

--
Todd H.
http://www.toddh.net/