Posted to alt.home.repair
Bill Bill is offline

Default microwave on switched outlet?

wrote in message

Is it safe to run a microwave on a circuit/outlet controlled by a wall
switch?

I have my microwave on a wall switch. I turn it off when it is not in use
and this saves electricity. I also have a power strip for my TV/Stereo and I
also turn this off when not in use which saves electricity.

So far as rating, 14 ga. wire is for a 15 amp circuit. Get a 15amp switch.
Should say 15 amp or 15 A on the switch. (I have 12 ga. wire, a 20 amp
outlet, and I use a 20 amp rated switch.)

Also check local electrical codes. I don't know if they would require a
separate 20 amp outlet for a microwave or whatever. If you are having your
work inspected, run it by your local electrical inspector before doing any
work. Could save you time and money...