Posted to alt.home.repair

Default microwave on switched outlet?

wrote in message
oups.com...
I would like to move my microwave from the kitchen countertop into a
spacious cabinet to free up the counter. There is currently a 14ga
wire running to that cabinet from a wall switch (prior owner intended
to install accent lighting in glass-fronted portion of cabinet. Is it
safe to run a microwave on a circuit/outlet controlled by a wall
switch? How do I tell if the switch is 'rated' for a certain power
draw? I would obviously install a GFI outlet.

Thanks,
Teo

Switches have ratings stamped on them. Take it out and look. After you look,
put the switch on the kitchen table, and join the wires in the outlet
together so they're not switched any more. Go buy a nice blank plate to
cover the box. Have a beer.