Posted to sci.electronics.repair
ampdoc ampdoc is offline

Default How to Clean Audio Cassette Heads

"Farmer Bill" wrote in message

I bought a used AM/FM/Cassette deck for my car. Unfortunately, the
heads, capstans, and pinch rollers were filthy. A cleaning tape barely
made a dent in the grime, so I cleaned everything gently with Q-tips and
rubbing alcohol. But there is still visible corrosion on the tape head,
causing playback to sound muffled (in one direction only; in the other
direction, the music sounds fine; it's a reversible deck). I have run
the (wet) cleaning tape through the machine about 15 times, to no
avail.

Does anyone know of a safe method to remove corrosion from audio
cassette tape heads? Not sure if I'm savvy enough to try to remove the
tape head from my old player and put it in the new player. Maybe I just
need to buy another used deck from a more reputable seller.

Many thanks.

--
Farmer Bill

The common practice in Aviation repair shops to freshen up flight recorder
heads that are scratched is to use Micromesh, a extremely fine abrasive. I'd
assume it would be just fine on any magnetic tape head. Start with a 2400
grit, knock the worst off and then go up to 3600 and finish up. Also adjust
the Azimuth, there should be screws on either side of the tape head to ajust
the tilt of the head, if the Azimuth is off the sound will be noably lacking
in treble and have a muffled sound.

One source for Micromesh-
http://www.sisweb.com/micromesh/mmr_sheets.htm

Jammy