Posted to rec.woodworking
sweetsawdust sweetsawdust is offline

Default Cub Scout WoodDorking - Yippee

After making many cars over many years I go the following route:
Each child must have a adult with them.
No one uses any tool until checked out by me.
ALL tool are disconnected from power until I reconnect them for use.
Any thing sharp is put away if at all possible until it is needed.
Shop is cleaned up as much as possible.

When kid arrive I give a safety lecture on the tools to the adults and kids.
Very simple and short. I then give each kid a predrawn 3 view page of the
car block, pencil, and drawing tools, with the instructions that they are to
draw the car they want to make, no adult help. When the car is drawn the
adults help them refine it, not design it. When finished the plan is
transferred to the block of wood and I cut it out with correct tools. Kids
and adults them finish shaping the car using rasps, files, sandpaper etc as
needed with me adding power tools when needed. We add weights to the cars
while in the shop in what ever manner the kids want. I provide lead
internal weights if the kids want them, other wise it is up to the kid and
adults as to what kind of weight and where it is placed.
I often have adults who can help by using drill presses or sanders which
lightens the load a lot. What ever the kid wants is what he gets, polished
axels, wings on car, spoilers, etc, can do. Paint and finish they do at
home with adult I hope.
Over the years I have had people who don't know what a screwdriver is to
ones who were more skilled then I will ever be. I have had a little blood
spilled (Band-Aid level only). I have had a lot of fun, made a lot of
winning cars a few of which did well on the track too. I like your 3
session idea, I usually am stuck with the first two all at once and with no
preplanning on the scouts part.
"Tom Watson" wrote in message
This is what really floats my boat these days.

We divided up the projects for the year and we are going to spend
three sessions on the Design, Construction (Assembly) and Finishing of
a Pine car Derby Garage. We have been sitting all the cars out on the
floor, with the possible problem ( already realized, unfortunately)
that younger children will have the opportunity to stomp the cars.

I am intensely interested in how the Cubbies will respond to the
design phase. My only guidance will be in broad terms " The
Definition Of The Problem", "The Possible Solutions", "The Best
Outcome".

I'll wind up cutting the parts in the shop without help, because I
don't really have a kid friendly shop. The kids will then assemble
the parts during a meeting.

God knows what will happen during the Finishing Phase - I'll be damned
interested to see how it turns out.

I'd like to have any ideas on how to involve the kids in the shop by
the time of the Pinewood Derby. My shop seems like a kid deathtrap
right now but I would like to make it available at least to the kids
who don't have Dads around, so that they have a better shot at the
Derby.

Maybe bandsaws and lathes with guards - I don't know - but maybe
someone has been there before me.

Regards,

Tom.
Regards,