Posted to rec.woodworking
stryped stryped is offline

Default What are these screws for on this old craftsman jointer and another question.

As you know I have a vintage 50's craftsman jointer. There are 3 knives
in the cutterhead. Each knife is held in with 4 allen screws. But also
on the cutterhead in one spot are two allen screws on on each end og
the cutter. (Fence side and person side). Any idea what these are for?
The old manual I downloaded dont mention them. SOmeone on another
newsgroup said maybe they are for angeling the blade? But my manual
does not mention this. I loosened one of them and could not tell
anything. I was afraid to take them out as I had just adjusted the
cutter head height and did not want to mess it up.

I also had been thinking about my knive adjustment plight. My
cutterhead has adjustment screws on each side of it to raise and lower
it. Why could I not just install each knife secuely and adjust the
knife height by raising lowering that side of the cutterhead? The
manual makes no reference to that and just says to adjust each
individual knife with a straightedge. The only thing I could think of
is maybe it would be impossible to get each knife the right height
using that method.