Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

Default Doorbell voltage

On Sun, 24 Sep 2006 23:56:30 -0500, "Tim Fischer"
wrote:

I went to the store and
bought the only other size they had, which was more than 14, either 18
or 24. Then the first floor hall doorbell was too loud, and every
time the mailman rang the bell,

You needed more power, not more voltage.

Thanks. I think either one will do.

Look for a xformer with a higher
mA rating but the same voltage.

I didn't see one, but I did see a higher voltage xformer, so that's
what I got. It's been ten years since I did this and everything has
worked fine.

I forgot to say before that in order to stop the false alarms, I put a
resistor in series with the first floor doorbell. I started with a
potentiometer to find the minimum resistance that would keep the glass
breakage detector from setting off the burglar alarm. When I found
the value I replaced the pot with a cheap fixed resistor.

-Tim