Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] empress2454@wowway.com is offline

Default From chalk lines to roof lines--Putting final shingles at the top

all of what has been said is good, unless you used some odd shingles.
if you used random gap shingles, then there is a special not so random
top shingle to lay on the top row. sold seperately of course. glad it
was included with my house kit.

Empressess #124457

The best Games

wrote in message
ps.com...
A couple of weeks ago, I asked a question about how to operate a
chalkline in relation to putting new three-tab asphalt shingles on a
shed roof.

Got some great answers and my son and I went to work. Unfortunately, it
was much more work than I anticipated, and being a "40-something" mom
with an 18-year-old not too enthusiastic son as a co-worker, just
getting the bundles of shingles on the roof just about killed both of
us.

So, work has progressed quite slowly. However, the end is in sight. We
are at the top! We measured so as to adjust the last few rows of
shingles so that they end right at the top.

Perfect! Well, maybe not. This is a shed roof, basically a slanted
piece of plywood built on an angle with none of those fancy valleys,
ridges and other parts of a roof that we know nothing about. So, other
than cutting off parts of the three tabs at the end of each row, it has
been pretty simple.

Except, what do we do now. My son pointed out, just as we prepared to
start the last row, that half the shingle will be grey, the bottom half
with the tabs will be white and the "black tarry strip across the
shingle will also be exposed. And where do we nail it?

I did buy a piece of drip edge that will come up over the top of
shingle and I suppose we could nail right at the top, slop roof cement
where the shingle and drip edge will meet and go from there....will
that work.

But, hey, I'm a woman, it is still going to look ugly with the
half-half color and tar at the top, and with using the chalkline and
all throughout, we have otherwise a very "perfect" looking job. Of
course it took us some 12 hours so far for 8 bundles...

You cut the tabs off a row of shingles, and nail them up individually.
(Actually, you usually cut the shingles right above the tar line, but
whatever works.) Yes, some spots of roofing cement here and there may be
needed, if a tab lands where there is no sticky spot. You cap the thing off
with premade ridge vent, or cap shingles, or (most people) with a bunch of
shingles cut in thirds, with the tops tapered so the next shingle hides them
At the end, you nail down a cut tab to cover the last light spot, and seal
the nails with some tar, and sprinkle some of the same granules you scraped
off an extra shingle into the tar spots to hide them. (Thy actually sell the
granules at the roofing store for big spots, but most people only need a
tiny bit.)

If none of this makes sense, google for 'basic roofiug', or go find a DIY
book, to see pictures. It ain't hard, just filthy and nasty.

aem sends...