Posted to rec.woodworking
RayV RayV is offline

Default Cub Scout WoodDorking - Yippee

DJ Delorie wrote:
I helped a den do this. I brought my scroll saw and disk sander to
their house (yes, it made a mess, it was worth it). I also brought a
stack of pages printed with various views of the blanks, so they could
draw on them. The den mom had a set of dowels and spray paint, and a
block of wood with holes drilled in it.

It went like this...

The blanks were pre-drilled underneath for screwing fender washers in
as weights.

Each cub got a pattern sheet. They drew their ideas on paper, then
copied them to the wood.

I did some of the scroll sawing, but we tried to talk the parents (and
a few cubs) into doing it. Parents and cubs did the sanding. They
were timid at first, but the tools I picked didn't bite much, so they
quickly got the hang of it.

The den mom hot glued a dowel into one of the holes in the bottom,
making carsicles. The cubs took them outside to spray paint them,
then put them in the blocks to dry.

Even if the cubs didn't *use* the tools, they still *saw* the block of
wood turn into a car, and that made a big difference to them.

Nice work.