Posted to rec.woodworking
Bill Stock Bill Stock is offline

Default DIY HVLP

I've talked (email) to a couple of the guys that have built their own HVLP
turbine from a 3 stage vacuum motor and they both seem quite pleased with
the results. So I was wondering if anyone has taken this to the next level
of 'frugal'. I already have a central vac in the garage where I want to
spray, so I got to thinking that I could run my gun off the central vac.
Yes, I've read about the Harbor Fright ghetto gun. A few problems spring to
mind though, burning out the motor, dust in the spray and possibly low PSI.
I'll stick a pressure meter on the vac's output to test #3 and a cloth over
the output to check for dust and use a bleeder gun to prevent #1. The CV is
fairly powerful though and I've never seen any dust on the car, plus it's
dead quiet compared to my blower or Shop Vac.

I know the purists will hate this idea, but has anyone actually tried it?
Any other problems I've overlooked?

TIA