stuart noble

Default Preparing for masonry paint

David wrote in message . ..
(David) wrote in message

. com...
I'm repainting the outside of my pebbledashed house just now. Having
pressure-washed the whole thing, much of the old paint and pebbledash
is in lousy condition - flaking and crumbling - and needs sorting
before I apply more paint.

Question: what should I apply, a proprietary stabiliser or a PVA
solution? If the latter, what dilution?

Anybody???!
Where's Mr Bone when you need him?! ;-)

Stabiliser is thinner and more penetrative but you can end up using gallons
of the stuff without any apparent improvement. Unless you have damp problems
I'd use PVA diluted at 1:4, which will stay closer to the surface and may
even form a film after a couple of coats.
Whatever gives you a surface that doesn't suck in the first coat of paint is
the one you need.