The Natural Philosopher

Default Slow builder - how to speed him up?

David Green wrote:

Please can anyone help restore my sanity?

We are over six months into building an extension to our home. The
small local builder we engaged to do the job said it would be finished
in 5 months, and signed a contract to that effect.

But, rather than appearing to work extra hard to get the job finished
as it's late, he is still absent half the time and seems unable to get
his subcontractors - such as the plumber - on-site when he promises.
Frankly, we have given up believing anything the builder says. The
problem appears to be that our builder is slow to pay his
subcontractors, and they are naturally reluctant to do more for him
until they see his money. Also, his qualities as an optimist are not
matched by his skills in time estimation and organisation.

We have been paying our builder in instalments, and there is still
money due to be paid at completion, plus 5% to be held back for up to
3 months or so in case any minor things need fixing. (All in the
contract.)

What can we do to put pressure on the builder? Do I need to write a
formal letter to him stating a final deadline after which I will
engage a different builder, or something? If so what should I say,
what deadline must I give? After this time, what action can I take?

Any advice really appreciated!

D W Green

[cross-posted to uk.legal, and uk.d-i-y]

Sack him, and finish the job yourself. If its just a question pof
managing teh trades etc.