Martin H. Eastburn

Default Starrett's MACHINIST TOOL BOX

GJRepesh wrote:

Is there a source for information covering the restoration of
Starrett's MACHINIST TOOL BOX?

If there is one I'm not aware of it. The box was made by Gerstner. They did not
have keys for mine. There is a number on the lock if you want to ask them. They
have a website so you can email them.

If your felt is oily I would suggest replacement. Mine needs this but I haven't
gotten around to it. I think its glued in with a light coat of elmers type
glue. You might ask Gerstner. Its been awhile since I asked. Felt is fairly
inexpensive. I tried a spot carpet cleaner but was not satisfied with the
results. I think replacement is the best idea.

Gary Repesh

Gary -

Why do you say one must get rid of the oily felt ?

I would assume some oil would be good in the tray to generally form a film
across the tools and prevent rust.

Maybe you are meaning real soggy types.

Can you let us know ?

Martin