Posted to alt.home.repair
Joseph Meehan Joseph Meehan is offline

Default Use of Gas Logs during the night? and as a sole heat source..

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
"Stevey Sandlin" wrote in
message
I was wondering if anyone used VENTLESS GAS LOGS to heat their entire
home and if so, did they go to sleep with it on? I guess I am a bit
paranoid, even though my grandparents use to use an open flamed
heater for their only heat source. I am sure it was not ventless,
but they never had a window open and it didn't kill them.

What does the manufacturer say about them? You certainly won't hear
me give you the OK not knowing the specifics of the logs and their
ratings.

I also have an air intake in the side of my fireplace. Would it be a
good idea to keep it open with ventless logs or is it not needed.

Any advice, both practical and academic would be most appreciated.

Any advice on using a product we know nothing about is dumb and
potentially dangerous. Refer to the manufacturer.

What is going to take pace that will save you money? What is the
fuel for your central heat now? Why will this save anything? It may
end up costing you more.

There are a few reasons to use the gas logs.
They look pretty
They heat the room you are occupying while the rest of the house is
kept cooler
They can usually still be used if there is a power failure

Gas logs are not designed to heat an entire house. Ventless are
usually very efficient compared to a furnace, but they have
drawbacks, like uneven distribution. They are not designed for the
use you intend.

Note: modern gas furnaces are very efficient, I don't think you could
call whatever those logs could do as very efficient compared to a modern
high efficiency furnace.

I would not be comfortable using them for that use.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit