Posted to uk.d-i-y
David Hansen David Hansen is offline

Default Programmable valve for central heating?

On Mon, 25 Sep 2006 14:38:16 +0100 someone who may be Mike W W
wrote this:-

The zone I refer to is part of the house that I rent out as a flat.
The tenant works during the day and is at home in the evenings and
weekends.

As has been said, two port valve controlled by a suitable
programmer. Electronic thermostats with PID control are probably
best for this sort of situation.

I, on the other hand, live in the main part of the house and
need the heating on 24/7 for most of the winter, as I work from home.

It seems wasteful to supply heating to your house overnight when
you're sleeping. Since installing cavity wall insulation I have
tended to turn my heating on only for an hour or two in the evening.
The heat is retained enough to get ready the next morning.

It may be worth zoning the main part of the house into that which
you use while working and the rest. Each zone can be controlled
independently.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh