Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Jeff, WB8NHV Jeff, WB8NHV is offline

Default One cassette deck bad - Aiwa NSX-A888

Both cassette decks in my Aiwa NSX-A888 mini stereo system (bought
new in 1999) worked well until a tape jammed in the playback deck (#1).
(Deck 2, record/playback, works fine, which is why I am in no hurry to
fix the other one.) I got the cassette out, but when I tried the deck
again, I got very weak sound and the tape sounded like it was running
backwards. Tried cleaning the playback head and the pinch roller, but
no luck. I'm at a loss to figure out what is going on. If the
playback deck is shot or has a defect that's going to cost me more to
have repaired than I paid for the entire system nearly seven years ago,
I won't bother with it; I'll just use it with deck 2. At this point I'm
just curious to know what could have happened to the first deck. Also,
where can I find a head-cleaning cassette for this unit? Are they still
made, or did they disappear when CDs were introduced?

Thanks in advance,

Jeff, WB8NHV
Fairport Harbor, Ohio USA