Posted to alt.home.repair
Shoebox Chevy Shoebox Chevy is offline

Default How do I use an impact wrench

"Don Young" wrote in message

"mm" wrote in message
On Thu, 21 Sep 2006 18:35:36 -0400, "Newsreader"
wrote:

Lefty loosey, Righty Tighty.

In other words, as you look at the head of the bolt, turn it left, or
counterclockwise to loosen. Clockwise tightens.

I know that. (I've known that since I was 6**.)

It's how to get the impact driver to go that way when I hit it with a
hammer!

**Maybe younger, now that I remember playing with my big brother's
Erector Set.

"mm" wrote in message
. ..
How do I use an impact wrench?

Which way should it turn when I'm compressing it if I am about to to
use it to unscrew a bolt or screw? Which direction are you looking
from it?

If I push the front of wrench back into the back of the wrench it
turns either clockwise or counterclockwise, when looked at from the
heal of the wrench, depending on the setting. (The opposite of
course when looked at from the tip of the wrench)

Which way should it turn if I want to use it to unscrew a bolt or
screw? Which way are you looking from it?

I'm trying to unscrew the screws holding on the oil filter of my
recently acquired 69 Honda, not run for 35 years. Also the starter
motor cover. So I can clean and oil them respectively.

I have this problem every time I need to use this wrench and I figure
it out, but since I'm over 50, or maybe since I was 20, I can't
remember from one time to the next! This time, I think I have it, but
none of 5 screws will budge!

Press the driver bit tightly into the screw recess (or otherwise hold the
bit), turn the driver hard left (counterclockwise) until it clicks around

in
that direction. While holding the driver tightly in this manner (like you
are trying to loosen the screw) hit the top of the driver. If you need to
repeat, just be sure you have the driver clicked counterclockwise and put

as
much turning force on it as you reasonably can while hitting the end. You
have to be trying to turn the screw when you hit the driver for it to

work.

Don Young

That's not true. That is the whole reason there is a CW and CCW setting on
the tool. When you hit it with a hammer, it turns one direction or the other
without regard to the tension you put in either direction, or none at all.
The advice to put it on a hard slick surface, like a tool box, and press on
it, is a good way to see which way it is going.