Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Covering fiberglass insulation?

"HeyBub" wrote in message
nowforsale wrote:
"jeffc" wrote in message
m...
There is exposed fiberglass insulation in my attic (in other words,
paper side out, exposed fiberglass side in). I'd like to cover some
areas of frequent use so there is no exposure to our skin as we
touch it. Ideas?

as opposed to skin exposure, you might be breathing it in

fiberglass is a known carcinogen (produces cancer) and required to be
labeled as such in the usa

Fiberglass is not a "known" carcinogen and, while labeling as such is
required by OSHA, they don't know squat and the data on which their
requirement was based is hoplessly out of date.

The American Lung Association says:

"The IARC [Intl Agency for Research on Cancer] working group revised their
previous classification of glass wool being a possible carcinogen. It is
currently considered not classifiable as a human carcinogen. Studies done
in the past 15 years since the previous report was released, do not
provide enough evidence to link this material to any cancer risk."

http://www.lungusa.org/site/pp.asp?c=dvLUK9O0E&b=35439

Yeah, but it's still a really bad idea to breathe it.