Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Art Deco Art Deco is offline

Default Mains transformer only outputting 2V instead of 22V

On 24 Sep 2006 06:46:15 -0700, "lsmartino"
wrote:

Art Deco ha escrito:

On Sun, 24 Sep 2006 00:40:25 -0500, jakdedert
wrote:

If you had the meter on the ac range (as you should have to read the
voltage on the transformer), you picked up a stray voltage...or not. If
not, then more investigation is necessary. I believe somewhere in the
thread, you stated the transformer was open on one side or the other.
If that's the case, you picked up a stray reading...phantom reading
which is indeed real, but not useful with respect to a determination of
your problem.

OK, but why would I put the meter on the AC range when the transformer
is supposed to be outputting rectified voltage?

A transformer doesnīt output rectified voltage. It outputs AC voltage,
which is rectified and filtered by the diodes and capacitors following
the transformer. Thatīs why there are diodes, capacitors and voltage
regulators after the transformer: to convert the AC unregulated voltage
of the transformer into regulated DC.

OK, so why would I put the meter on the AC range to check the
regulated DC voltage coming out?