Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Fuel Saving - Electricity

PhilC wrote:
In the interest of fuel saving could there be any saving in having a 12v
lighting circuit? Using maybe one or two larger transformers and the
equivalent of a mains lighting circuit or would the cost not be justifiable?
This being in addition to the normal mains circuit.

On a similar topic because transformers become warm, is there significant
electricity use when on standby?

PhilC

Ther could be in that the bulbs last longer and give more light as tehy
run hooter, for a given power.

However you have also identified that there will be losses associated
with the transformers, and the wiring losses will likeley be greater,
and the currents will necessitate a lot of thick cable, and the switches
would need uprating to deal with the currents.

Which is why we run 240v lighting circuits and switches, and use local
transformers for 12v lighting.

Since these are mostly spot lights, the advantages are lessened by the
smaller illumminated foot print. I guess you COULD use car headlamp bulbs...